Silver Award criteria
After achieving their Bronze Award, your Eco-Committee will be eager to progress towards the Silver Award. This involves continuing the good work you have already achieved in your school, while further expanding on the Seven Steps. On average schools take 6 months to move from Bronze to Silver.
This is self-assessed online and focuses on the activities you are undertaking on the Eco-Schools topics you have chosen. If you feel you have met the criteria listed below, please login to your account to complete the self-assessment.
- There is a representation from the parents or governing body on your Eco-Committee
- Your Eco-Committee meet a minimum of once every half term
- Pupils share responsibility with adults for chairing meetings and keeping a record of them
- Pupil representatives ensure that there is communication to and from the Eco-Committee to the rest of the school
Your Environmental Review
- Pupils have carried out an Environmental Review of your school, covering all nine topics and have discussed their findings
- A copy of your Environmental Review is displayed on your Eco-Board along with planned activities for improvement which have been suggested by your Eco-Committee
Your Action Plan
- Your Eco-Committee has produced a detailed Action Plan with specific targets and timescales for completion and who will be responsible for these actions
- Your Eco-Committee have shared your Action Plan with the entire school
- A copy of your Action Plan is displayed on your Eco-Board
Monitoring action and evaluating progress
- Your Eco-Committee monitors the effectiveness of their Eco-Schools work: via data collection or before and after photographs
- These could be used in the curriculum
Linking to the curriculum
- Your school can indicate that a range of environmental issues have been covered within the curriculum in most year groups
Involving your whole school and wider community
- Your school has a prominent and designated Eco-Board detailing all Eco-Schools activities, including a copy of your Environmental Review, Action Plan, minutes, before and after photographs and photographs of Eco-Committee members
- Your Eco-Board should be kept up to date
- Your Eco-Committee regularly communicates Eco-Schools activities to the entire school and wider community, this could be through assemblies and school newsletters
- Your school has an agreed Eco-Code- it may even form part of a poem or song!
- Your Eco-Code is displayed on your Eco-Schools noticeboard
Applying for your award
- The Silver Award is self-assessed.
- Complete your assessment by logging into our assessment site.
- You will be able to download a Silver Award logo and certificate to be very proudly display at your school and on your website and other literature.
You can find a greener version of pretty much everything your school uses; pencils, carpets, uniforms, energy. Here you can investigate how you can ‘green’ your schoolInteractive Eco-School